Monday, March 29, 2010

A trip to USS George Washington

This is bit late for a blog but I’m just so excited to tell about my experiences during my trip in one of the biggest US carrier ship deployed in Japan. We went there as a treat for Christmas for my family and friends. I am really amazed at the size in and out of the ship.

Chief Boatswain Mate Larry Seesholtz brought us to plenty of spots that allow visitors to roam. These places include the eating areas which are divided for Officers, Chiefs, and Rank and file or for common navy men. He also brought us to the place where the captain of the ship works for maneuvering the ship.

It is quite enticing to walk around as a visitor in the ship but probably working there is very challenging. I cannot imagine working in a ship where staircases are really narrow, the walls smell like paint thinner, the ceilings are standard but for the taller workers, they’d be bowing most of the time. Or maybe I am just really an office worker to begin with. Anyways, I salute our guide BMC Larry Seesholtz for working 20 years of his life in such scene. I mean it’s not really hazardous but for me it’s really a man job. I am surprised there are plenty of women serving in the navy.

The roof deck where the airplanes fly and land is really wide, like 2 soccer field. It was a great to be on top of the tall and long ship where you see the place where all the planes launching happen. I feel so lucky because some other people cannot just visit or come to the ship; a sponsor is needed to do that.






No comments:

Post a Comment